Friday, September 27, 2013

Steps Part 2

Part 2 of the beurocracy shake down in Japan came in the form of trying to get a bank account. 



Left early this morning for my card registration - next stop was Yokohama Mitsubishi Bank of Japan and is actually the parent company of Union Bank USA formerly Union Bank of California.

I was loaded with all the proper paperwork, my Inkan (official stamp of my last name), and most importantly - money!  Guess what??? No go..  My official residence was too far from the bank I was trying to open an account at. This concept was new to me. The amount of money I wanted to deposit didn't matter. From what I gathered they have become very aggressive about rules regulating where and how you bank in Japan. Why? Not really sure. There is reasoning behind this rule I am sure - I am just not sure what it is yet. All of the bank branches are connected. The exception to the rule is if your work is close to your bank in which case they will make an exception and let you hold an account. You must provide proof (business card) of your work or business in the area and they will grant you an account. Hmm.... Ok. 

This photo is my Inkan. It's a stamp of my last name in Katakana for official business or contracts. 

Anyway, the bank account was a 1/2 busted mission. Opened 1 account and denied the other. What can you do - learn something new every day...



No comments:

Post a Comment