Friday, September 27, 2013

Taking Steps


I was told that everything in Japan can be a bit of a process. Paperwork and beurocracy make this country work. It can work for you or very against your very quickly and I experienced both today!

Upon my entry to Japan I received my foreigner / Gainin residency card. I was directed to a line at the end of the check in counters (closest to the offices) that is reserved for foreign dignataries and special entry permits. I was told to go here because I possessed an entry permit / certificate of eligibility that was pre-approved by the Japanese Consulate in Los Angeles, California USA. Because I had pre approval I was issued a card immediately. They were very clear about the rules of this card and the penalties for not carrying it.

If I am asked for the card by any authority (police, immigration, etc.) and do not have it with me I can be fined ¥200,000 and risk detainment. They are really serious about keeping it on you at all times. Along with a full page of instructions and warnings there was also a paragraph about registering with my local prefecture of residence within 14 days - this is the final step in my imigration to Japan. 

I went to the Funabashi government office in Chiba to register my new card. This was a smooth process but a lengthy one. The local government offices are amazing. Super efficient and organized and amazingly friendly. Such a difference from USA services like the DMV! 




The end result of final registration was a bit of unexpected icing... I have 3 year residency status and unlimited work permission. I am not sure which was the pre-requisite but the girl at the counter "suggested" that I fill out one more piece of paper. It was registration for the national health system! They issued me another card that allows me to see doctors and also covers 30% of my expenses for health related visits. Wha?????  This was a total surprise. I don't want to use it but it's nice to know its there just incase.



No comments:

Post a Comment